St Constantine’s International School is a co-educational, day and boarding, British-style, international school, with a roll of 580 students (including 75 boarders) from over 30 different countries.
Founded in 1952 by the Greek immigrant community that originally settled in East Africa in the 1920s and 1930s, the school’s original classrooms were next to the town’s only Greek Orthodox Church. Though our school is secular and non-denominational, welcoming pupils from every religion and culture, the church itself still exists as part of our 35-acre campus and holds services every Sunday morning for the local community.
The Greek community prospered in agriculture, mining and business, and sent their children to board at St Constantine’s International where they could get instruction in Greek language, culture and religion. By the mid-1960s, however, it had evolved into an English-medium school and, in 1998, adopted the famous Cambridge International Curriculum.
From its humble conception, St Constantine’s is renowned for both our sports and academic achievements. Owned and governed by the Hellenic Foundation of Tanzania, the school continues to contribute to the country which welcomed their ancestors over 90 years ago. Proud of its Greek heritage and its international quality education, St Constantine’s is looking into a very bright future educating the country’s – and the African continent’s – future leaders.
With its 70th anniversary approaching in 2022, it is the oldest international school in Tanzania – now the largest international school in northern Tanzania – and it continues to grow and expand.